Monday, February 18, 2008

When you change your view.....

So far I have been on bedrest exactly 10 weeks. It is hard to imagine that I have been "taking it easy" for that long. I think that I have been able to come full circle in my thinking about this whole bedrest issue. At first, I was truly scared to death of even the thought of losing this baby. Once I made it to 24 weeks my thoughts went to the fact that she now has a fighting chance at life. Now just 1 week shy of 30 weeks, I am determined to keep this little one in the oven as long as possible so I don't even have to spend one day away from her. I want to be able to have a normal delivery (normal - what is that?) and spend the time in the hospital bonding with my daughter. Not looking at her through a isolette and seeing her struggle for life. That has kept me going this far. There is no doubt in my mind that there are some great things in store for my children!

I have also been able to see just how much is not getting done at my house. I was walking up the stairs the other day and needed to sit down 1/2 way through (fairly common). Well while I was sitting there I realized that the wall is SOO dirty. I would have continued to pass by that spot forever if I did not need to sit down at that point. Since the stairs are right off of our kitchen and there is a little ledge between the stairs and the small hallway leading to our living room. As you can see here there are so many things on that ledge.

Well on more than one occasion has there been the most unfortunate Pepsi, Route 44 Cherry LimeAid, coffee, juice, even bowl of oatmeal (don't ask) that has been knocked off of the ledge and down the stairs! David has done a ok job with cleaning up the stairs - I mean how easy is it to clean up Pepsi or Oatmeal even from 13 carpeted steps? Unfortunately the wall has been greatly neglected. Which I saw when I sat down. That wall needs some tender lov'n care. Oh the things that I will do once I am able to get up and around again! I am making my list as I type!

As much as this sucks, there have been some really great things that have come out of me being on bedrest. If noticing oatmeal stuck to my wall can be called a great thing. I have been able to take a step back and look at the things that really matter. The things that are important in life. Sometimes we really need to take a time out on the stairs to see what is on the wall.

5 comments:

debi9kids said...

How wonderful that you have gotten it in your mind finally that you can do this! I KNOW you can Shan! (I PERSONALLY know it is possible to do bedrest as long as necessary, and you can do this!)
You are right, you want to be holding that precious girl when she is born, not just looking at her. You will!
PS That last line is wonderful. (maybe that can be on the inside of our twin pregnancy book when & if we ever write it.)

Angela & Albert Fontenot said...

I am cracking up at you Shan! I cant wait for thursday....and my stairwell walls are freakin sick! Don't look!
angela

Jessica Kate said...

You silly girl. You don't really think you'll have time to wash walls with four kids under 5, do you?
I challenge Angela to a freakin sick stairway wall contest. You in?
I'm very proud of you!
love,
Jk

Jenn H said...

It is so good to hear you upbeat!!! Congrats on 29 weeks, less than 8 weeks to go and you have yourself one full-term baby girl. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Hope school is going good too!!

Tonya Staab said...

I know how hard it is for you to stay on bedrest so I'm so so proud of you for sticking it out this long. I loved your last sentence.