Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I am on the pump!!!

Well I spent about 2 hours with two Matria home health care nurses. They got me all set up on the terb pump. So far I am a little jittery, like getting the shot in the hospital - but I feel good. They said that I should get used to the side effects within a week at the most. I hope so. Along with this I have to hook myself up to a contraction monitor twice a day for an hour at a time. I only have to send the info once a day. The good thing is that anytime I have contractions or just don't feel right I am able to hook myself up and then they can monitar me right then. My threshold is only 4-5 an hour. Kinda low - but then my Dr said that he doesn't want me messing with the contractions just because they are doing so much damage so early now. Here are some pictures of my pump and my site. I have to change my site every 3 to 5 days. I was under the impression that they come out and do it for me BUT NOOOOOOO!!!! I have to stick myself with this needle and do it all myself. It is actually pretty easy. It is a small needle and cath. I just stab myself with the whole thing - it just feels like a poke and then I take out the needle and the cath stays in. I will post pictures the next time I have to do it. I do have to change my medicine in my pump just about every 16 hours. That is a bit of an ordeal but overall really easy. I am constantly getting a slow dose of medicine and then every 4 hours I get a larger dose that takes 12 minutes to give. I am then able to give myself demand doses of the medicine as necessary based on my contractions. That demand dose has to be authorized by a nurse and it is only after I am over my contraction threshold. Lets cross our fingers that this works and keeps me out of the hospital for 7 more weeks!My site on my leg
My leg and my pump.
This is my kit that I change every 3-5 days or if the kids pull it out.

10 comments:

Sharlene said...

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

debi9kids said...

I second Shar- YIKES!

Tonya Staab said...

oh honey I'm sorry about what you are going through with all of this. Just think about what is ahead and it will make is seem so much easier. That is one sexy leg you have there momma :)

Jenn H said...

Praying for an uneventful 7 weeks, you are one brave cookie!!!

The Romero-Schroeder said...

URGHHHHHHH that look hurtful, but is for AnnaGrace!!!

The jones Family said...

Shan I hope you adjust quickly to the medicine. I can't imagine that jumpy feeling for a whole week! 7 more weeks - you can so do that!

L I S A said...

Wow, that pump does NOT look fun! But I'm glad you're doing all you can for the baby. Great you have Matria coming out to you. I had them come to me for weekly P17 injections. Isn't it reassuring? I hope she can hold out for 7 more weeks!

The Corradetti Clan said...

Ouch, I am praying for you and your family. You look fabulous being 30 weeks pregnant. Take car and keep up posted

Lizze said...

You almost make it sound like it's no big deal. I'm dreading the day my Matria nurse brings mine. *shivers*

Lizze said...

Okay, I just wanted to point out something to you...in order for this to classify as "ramblings" you actually have to...oh, um, I don't know...RAMBLE! :p lol