Wednesday, March 5, 2008

7th Trip to L&D - March 5th

Oh joy! Another trip to Labor and Delivery. I distinctly remember telling David that we would not be making this trip again unless my water broke or I had a baby sticking out of me. I am just getting so sick of this! I thought that the terb pump would totally stop these contractions and allow me to make it to the end with no more speed bumps.

I should go back and say that during the weekend I started having some cramping. I wasn't to worried about it because I wasn't having any contractions with it. Then Sunday night came and I started to get a really intense lower back ache. I just thought that maybe I had a bad day in bed and that is why my back is hurting. So now we fast forward to Monday morning. I did my normal hour monitoring and called it in. About 20 minutes later my Matria nurse called me to give me the results of the strip. I had a few contractions. She asked about cramping and backache. I told her that it was getting pretty bad. She had me give myself a demand dose of terb and then we upped my doses that I get hourly and also moved my boluses from every 4 hours to every 3. I told her that I had a Dr's appointment later in the day and she told me to let him know what was going on.

At the Dr's appointment I told him about the cramping and back pain. His words were "I'll be concerned if you want me to be. But if not then I think that we should just see if we can get another week out of you." I think that at this point I was okay with that. I was just checked the week before and was still closed and 50% effaced. The cervix that I had left was firm. Now I wish I would of had him check me out then. I left the office with an appointment in 10 days.

Fast Forward now to Wednesday. I woke up with some pretty strong contractions. I told David this and his words to me were, "Its my day off and I am not going anywhere." Well after monitoring we discovered that I was contracting regularly - every 8 minutes. My Matria nurse had me do a demand dose and then monitor an hour after that. Another demand dose and another hour monitor. At that point she told me that she has done all that she is able to so I needed to call my Dr and then most likely a trip either into the Dr's office OR L&D.

Off to L&D we go. I packed my bag, I fully was not expecting to come home from this one. We arrived and was given a bed and hooked up to the monitor. Contractions were regular. Because I was already getting the terb - they really did nothing. I had a Dr. check me and we then found out that I am 1 to 2 cm dilated, and my cervix was really soft. The plan was to wait an hour and then check me again to see if I had any change. An hour passed and I was checked again - no change, still 1 to 2 and soft. I got an fFN test and that came back negative but because I was contracting regularly they weren't going to let me go yet. Well after 3 bags of IV fluids, my Terb and procardia my contractions settled down and I was able to go home. I was asked to be checked before I was let go just to make sure that nothing had changed :) Still no change.

Here again on the way home we made the declaration that there will be no more trips to L&D unless fluid is gushing from my body or body parts are hanging from me. We will see how long that lasts.......

2 comments:

Lizze said...

You Shannon, I'm starting to wonder if we aren't jinxing ourselves with these "I won't be back until I'm giving birth" declarations. Although it would be nice to make the declaration and have it hold true for once. lol

I'm glad you are doing better, hopefully the trip to the ER didn't cause anymore problems. (Yeah, I read them in the wrong order. lol) I'll be thinking of you!

Jenn H said...

Hoping for another 4 weeks free of L&D visits. Hope the school work is coming along quickly!! Don't know how you do it!!!