Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Our Day With a Sick Isaac

So Isaac has really been sick all winter. There hasn't been a day where his nose hasn't been runny or crusty. We have just thought that it is probably allergies - since I deal with them and so did Ethan. The brothers were all at the Dr's in January and had sinus infections and then 2 weeks later they both had ear infections. We didn't take them back to the Dr to make sure that the ear infections had cleared up, we just sorta assumed that they did.

Well this morning David went up to their room to get them up in the morning and Isaac was burning up. Not just with a low grade fever but he was 104.5 under his arm. We gave him some Advil and then I called the Dr to see if we could get in. We were able to get an appointment within the next hour so I hurried (I know not allowed - but it was take one to the Dr. or stay at home and deal with the other two) to get ready and took Isaac to the Dr.

I have to say that I love spending time with each one of the brothers on a one on one basis. It is so rare that we get to do that and I need to make sure that once little bit comes we spend time with each of the kids on a one on one basis.

Because Isaac was not feeling well he just sat in my lap the during the entire time waiting in the waiting room and then waiting for the Dr. He sits right under my arm and rests his arm/hand on my belly and every few minutes he will say "sister" and then pat my belly. He loves his sister already! I can't wait to see how he reacts her once she is here.

Well once the Dr came in (I should mention that I did see a new Dr this week that I am MUCH happier with and I am thinking of switching to her for the boys.) Isaac was still running a fever. She went over his chart and his past history and said that most likely he didn't get over his original ear infection and it has just kicked back up again. I told her that Isaac is a snorer too. He has snored since day one. I remember the NICU staff commenting on it. We were told that we should wait until he is about a year old and then see if he was still doing it. Of course life has just been so crazy that we haven't done anything about it - until now.

I guess that infants/toddlers are not supposed to snore. So once we get his ear infection cleared up we will need to see an ENT to find out what is going on. Most likely he will need his adenoids out. Great - that is now two kids that will need surgery (Ethan is still needing his hemorrhoid removed). We did know that there was probably an issue with the way that everything was structured when Isaac was first born. When they tried to put in a G-tube for feedings they were only able to use one nostril because the other airway (is that what you call it) was so thin that they couldn't even get the tube down it. The side that they ended up using for the G-tube only had room for the G-tube. The Dr was hoping that as he got bigger - so would everything else. Well it looks like that has not happened and Isaac is heading for a sinus surgery.

So Isaac is back on antibiotics for an ear infection. He is still running a high fever, we have to give him to Thur - if his fever has not broke by then we need to go back to the Dr. So for another little bit - she also suggested an Autism screen for Isaac. This was something that we were concerned about earlier but he has advanced so much in just a few months that we really haven't thought much about it. She said that there are just some "things" that could point to Autism or could just also be because he is a twin and even thought he was the first one out - he is not the dominate twin. Well someone needs to tell him that! :)

Time will tell.

No comments: