Tuesday, February 12, 2008

28 weeks, insulin, small baby and a teary goodbye

It has been forever since my last post - I apologize. I think that many things are to blame, of course none of them are my flat out laziness. I guess that I will first start with an update of my latest Doctors appointment.

The wonderful news is that I have made it to 28 weeks! I now officially look pregnant in all of my clothes that I wear. My baby bump can no longer be confused with just another "roll". I have now been on bed rest longer than I will need to be! I had my 28 week Dr. visit this week and saw another new Dr. It was a little hard at the beginning because he kept referring to our little one as "the twins" or "they". I had to correct him a few times so it brought up some feelings that I thought I had already gotten over. I guess that no matter how or when it happens the loss of a baby in-utero is always hard and mourned. On to some good news - last week I was taken off of the insulin that I was on and yesterday I was told that I only need to check my sugar twice a day! My fingers bowed to the Dr. Because I am wanting to deliver VBAC, this Dr says that it is best to go into labor naturally when my body is ready. I guess that it is now that I am dealing with the fact that if I just say that I want a c-sec we will have a date and be done with it BUT the fact remains that I want to avoid a c-sec at all costs!

I also had both a growth ultrasound and a cervical length check. You might remember that 4 weeks ago my Dr expresses concern over the growth rate of our little ones head. This has had me worried for weeks. Well as we were doing the growth scan she showed us all the moves that she had. She literally flipped twice during the scan - giving the tech a run for her money! This child knows no sleep and is always moving! After many sets of measurements we find that she is measuring 2 weeks behind where I actually am. Just at the boarder of their window of error. My cervical length is still good, but still shrinking. The crappy thing that that means is that these miserable contractions are slowly but surely doing their job - just a little early. The smallest measurement they got was 2.5 with the longest at 3.1. I am also funneling rather pronounced now. At this point my new Dr. STRONGLY suggested that I go on bedrest. Okay I think that I will do that. At this point we got the typed report of the growth scan back and found that she is between the 20th and 30th % for her gestational age. As long as she continues to grow at that rate we are good. As they looked back they see that is where she has been the whole pregnancy so far. With the small head, they think that they just got some screwy measurements last time. They are going to now follow up with another growth scan in 2 more weeks just to make sure that there is nothing funky going on. The Dr. said well at least you won't have to worry about giving birth to a 9 lb baby! He is thinking that if I make it to full term I will have a 5-6 lb baby. I sure hope so - well at least my .....um....... you know ..... hopes so!

Today we said Goodbye to Davids parents - it was hard. We really miss them. Davis mom stocked our freezer with cooked chicken and beef! So thankful! We just need to make some rice or some pasta and the chicken is already cooked and just needs to be thawed and heated! The boys loved spending time with them and when they came downstairs after there nap (David took them to the airport during it) they started looking around for g'ma and pop. Aidan was teary eyed when we said that they went bye-bye. The will be back - after the baby is born and then they will take my Ethan to their house for a while. I am not sure if I am ready for him to go on a long trip and be states away for 3 weeks. My baby is growing up.

I think that is all for now - I will post my 28 week preggo pic and Ethan doing his Impromptu speech for my public speaking class. It is just too cute.

6 comments:

Jenn H said...

So glad to see the update!!! I am very happy David's parents were able to be such a blessing to you! Hang in there, you can do it!!!

Angela & Albert Fontenot said...

Hey Shannon!
Glad to hear you are doing well! Only 2 sugar checks a day??? Yea!!!
My docs said the same thing about it being best to go into labor naturally but I whined a lot and got my induction with pictocin at 38.5 weeks. Of course, you may wanat your baby to go as long as possible to gain those last few extra ounces there at the end if she's small to start with. CALL ME GIRL!
love,
angela
seriously, call me. If we wait on me...we'd better grab a snickers!

The Romero-Schroeder said...

Yay for the 28 weeks and for the insulin !

debi9kids said...

Fabulous update Shan! I'm so happy you are still cooking and still going strong!
Yeah, I'm with your doc, you might want to be on bedrest. hahahahaha (seriously, where has he been for WEEKS!?! LOL)

Christy said...

Just checking in on ya! I think of ya often, even if I haven't popped in to say so!
Take care of yourself! Strict Bedrest, missy! Wish i was closer, I would help more...
yeah 28 weeks!

Shannon said...

Glad to see that you're doing well, keep hanging in there! Sorry your help is gone for now, but good job on 28 weeks!!