Thursday, January 24, 2008

The perfect pregnant woman

As I am laying here in bed (story of my life) watching The Celebrity Apprentice I am dreading the fact that in 20 minutes I have to stick myself with a needle for the 6th time today. I just figured out that in the 10 days that I have been home from the hospital I have stuck myself more than 80 times. David has stuck me 3 times. Needleless to say I am sick of needles!!!

My Dr's have started me on this new wonder drug 17P, it is basically hormones that are supposed to help calm your uterus. Well I get the shot weekly. My pharmacy sent the shots directly to our house. We can drive down to our Dr's office for them to give me this shot - but it is a 45 minute drive there and back. Not going to do it for a 30 second shot in the butt. So then our other options are to find a nurse that can come to our house and give me this shot or just let David do it. That was going to be our plan - David. Then he saw the size of the needles that he needed to use. Compared to the size of my insulin needles these needles are giants!!!!

I spent all day Tuesday calling different places to see where I could go to have someone give me this shot. I called the Dr that is supposed to be my PCP but since I have never seen him, I can't go there for a stupid shot. Oh and it would take me 4 - 6 weeks to get into the office and become an established patient. I ended up calling a local Clinic and they said that they would do it no problem - they were busy at the time but called me back when they were ready for me. David drove me to the the Clinic and waited with me. After paying the "injection" charge and waiting for close to 30 minutes we get in to see the Nurse Practitioner and she tells me that they are not supposed to treat pregnant women at all - not even a shot in the butt!!!! At that point it was close to 7pm and I was already a day behind in getting this shot. We ask her if she can just talk David through giving me the shot. She did and after him playing dart practice on my butt - I have now deemed him worthy of giving me this weekly shot!! I just have to say that it hurts like HECK - not at first but about 3 hours later it hurt like HECK.

So I guess that I will end this rambling with a funny story. I was in the orthodontist's office on Tuesday standing at the counter waiting to get my next appointment when one of the employees came up to me and exclaimed "Oh My Gosh - You had your baby!!!!" I looked at her and said "No..... I am only 25 weeks. I still have a while to go." She then went on to say that I must have lost lots of weight or something because I really looked good and in her words "The perfect pregnant woman."

Now if I only felt the the perfect pregnant woman................

1 comment:

debi9kids said...

UGH! That shot sounds horrible! Your poor butt! (not to mention all the other places you are being stuck by needles. Poor you!)
The perfect pregnant woman??? What the heck is that? I have never heard of that one! LOL